Pope Pius XII consecrated the world to the Immaculate Heart of Mary in 1942. Six years later Bishop Edward Fitzgerald, the fourth bishop of the Diocese of Winona, founded this seminary cradled within the bluffs of its See City under the patronage of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
The Arms of the Seminary were created in 2002 in honor of this sixtieth anniversary of the world’s patronage to the Immaculate Heart and of the men who for over five decades have been educated and formed within the community of Kelly Hall.
The crest holds at its center Mary’s “mystical rose” in white, on a diamond (symbol of virgins) which is blue, her traditional color. Though these symbols are similar to those on the Winona Diocesan Coat of Arms at the very center of this rose –and crest– rests the Immaculate Heart of our Heavenly Queen. The bold letters of the seminary fashioned in pure white hold above it the flur-de-lei; another traditional symbol of the Virgin Mary, yet also a strong symbol of Joseph her most chaste spouse the guardian of Jesus and disciples dedicated to Him.
The red shield symbolizes both the enlightening guidance of the Spirit for a discerner of the Father’s will, as well as, the gift of courage needed for a faithful response to His call.
“Ecce Quam Bonum” Behold How Good are the opening words of Psalm 133 which is the motto for the brothers of IHM Seminary: Behold how good and how splendid it is where brothers dwell as one; one in spirit, one body of Christ.